Friday, June 29, 2012

A New Twist

'while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us'


Because Jared & I were focused solely on adoption while we were going through our GPS classes, we tended to tune out a lot (okay, any) information that was specific to fostering. More than once, this has come back to bite us. Thankfully, we had an awesome training worker, Tara, who continues to generously help us with anything we need. Anyway, today was one of those times when we realized that we really should have paid more attention. 


While speaking with Sabrina to kind of debrief after yesterday's surprise visit with mom, I learned that we are expected to allow Princess Petunia to call her mom. As foster parents, we get to set the parameters, which is nice, but PP's mom does have the right to speak with her. This is so out of my comfort zone. I guess I just had it in my mind that we really wouldn't have any direct interaction with Princess Petunia's mom. I just figured that we would take care of Princess Petunia and DHR would handle all things related to mom. Obviously for the most part, this is the case. But at least for now, we get the opportunity (I need to start viewing it as such) to facilitate phone calls on the non-visit weeks. 


*Confession* I don't want to do this. I had a long discussion with God about that fact earlier. I told Him that we were already providing for and loving PP. We didn't sign up to deal with her mom. Her mom has obviously made some seriously bad choices to have her children placed in care. Why should we go out of our way and our comfort zone do anything more for her? God stopped me in my tracks right there as He brought His word to my mind, "while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." 


The Creator God died for me (us) in the midst of my ugly, vile sin. Surely I can, in His strength and love, handle a simple phone call every other Monday. And further, pray that He might be able to use those times to reveal Himself to PP's mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment