Friday, July 6, 2012

Looking too long at the wind and waves...

'But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, 'Lord, save me.'

I've heard it said that people 'burn out' because they focus too much on themselves and their circumstances. They take their eyes off Christ. I feel as though I've fallen into that over the past several days. Instead of keeping my focus on our all-powerful, all-loving Lord, I've started looking around at where He has placed us and what He has asked us to do. I know it's not walking on water, but have you ever tried to love, 1 Corinthians 13 kind of love, five demanding little people, one of whom is not your own, all day long? I start thinking about how He's called me to be patient and kind and not irritable (seriously??). I start thinking about how He's called me to die to self and serve. I think about how He's called me to be content, even give thanks in everything. It's as though the wind gets louder and louder, and the waves get stronger and stronger. I find myself crying out, as Peter did, Lord save me! The beautiful thing about prayers like that....He always, always, always answers them. 

We had our first phone call with Princess Petunia's mom Monday evening. It went very, very well. I was able to speak with her for a little while after she said bye to PP. I shared with her some of what we do during the day. She was especially interested in our family worship time and church. PP got back on the phone really quick so she could recite Psalm 1 for her. Mom truly does love Princess Petunia and wants to be able to have her back home. She cried twice while we talked. She is not taking responsibility for her situation, however. She said that she "called DHR for help, and they took her children away." I'm not sure how well this victim mentality is going to serve her going forward. 

We've also had a second home visit with Sabrina. This went well too. We learned that Princess Petunia wears glasses. Who knew? She's been with us for almost 6 weeks, and this is the first we've heard about glasses. You'd think that would be one of the first things mom would share with the SWs. Oh well. I'm supposed to call around and find an optometrist nearby so we can have her prescription transferred. There always seems to be something new. :) 

*Continuing prayer requests*
~ Princess Petunia is still having trouble telling the truth. We're getting better here, but she still does struggle at times. Sabrina had a long talk with her during the visit and found that PP lies to us because she wants her mom. Sad! 
~Princess Petunia and Noah are still working at getting along. This too is getting better, but we do have some fussing and tattling going on. They currently have to sit by each other at every meal and also in the van. We're about to have to come up with additional incentives to adjust behavior. ;) Any creative ideas on this are more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment