Thursday, June 28, 2012

Surprise....

'In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps'


So, today was our last day of Rock the Block, and as a treat, I told the kids that we'd go get McDonalds and have super water play when we got back home. That plan was met with big cheers all around. Yay! Mom's the best! Yeah, she's awesome! That sort of thing. :)


On our way home from McDonalds, my phone rang. It was an out-of-town number that I didn't recognize which normally means that I just hit 'ignore' but for some reason I answered it today. The lady on the other end (I still don't know her name) asked if I was Princess Petunia's foster mom and said that PP had a visit with her mom today at noon (it was 12:10) and that she was on her way to pick her up to take her to DHR for the visit. All kinds of red flags went up for me because...
1)  I knew nothing about a scheduled visit with mom.
2) I couldn't understand the lady very well and she never told me her name or who she worked for. Well, to be fair, she might have but I definitely didn't catch it. 
3)  She called me by my first name, and everyone that we work with at DHR knows that I go by my middle name, Dawn.


 As politely as I could, I explained that I needed to check with our social workers before I would let Princess Petunia go since this visit was news to me. The lady was okay with that which made me feel a tad more comfortable. Also, she said that she was still on her way over and not sitting at our house waiting on us, which gave me time to figure out what in the world was going on. *Confession time* I actually had momentary thoughts of driving straight to the CH police department if I couldn't get in touch with anyone at DHR. 


I made a couple of frantic phone calls to Tara (our former SW) and then to Sabrina (PP's SW.) I was able to get in touch with Sabrina on the 2nd try who told me that yes, there was a visit scheduled for today. She just had forgotten to let me know. Profuse apologies followed and all was well. But man! My heart took a little while to calm down!


Just another reminder that we are definitely not sovereign over our days. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment