Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How to not waste the waiting

'that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light'


There is a lot of waiting involved in this fostering process, a LOT. We waited through our classes, which were very necessary and helpful by the way (Love to Tara!). We waited through the approval process. We waited through the switch from adoption to fostering. During this waiting, things were out of our control. We were waiting on other people to further our fostering journey. This was and still is very hard for me, very, very hard. I remember writing a journal entry a few months ago....


'so we [Jared & I] joked that we've been given another month of waiting (in DHR time.) I don't want to waste it. I feel like we have a treasure trove of wisdom and experience [all around us] and I want to tap into it.'


And so, I began to search for any books, podcasts, websites, etc that I could find that might encourage, inspire, inform us on the world of foster parenting.  This search is still ongoing but these are some of what I have found helpful so far:


One Hundred Children by Ms Judyth Y Foley
   Interesting read by a seasoned foster parent. She shares 'case studies' of every child that she welcomed into her home.


The Lost Boy...a foster child's search for the love of a family by Dave Pelzer


Loving Someone Else's Child by Angela Hunt


Growing up in the Care of Strangers by Waln K Brown & John R Seita
  'The experiences, insights, and recommendations of 11 former foster kids


There is an Urgency by Gregrhi Arawn Love
   *important note* This is a very powerful book, and one reason it is so powerful is because it is very raw. The author is brutally honest when describing his childhood. There is much language and at least one very intense, very graphic description of sexual abuse.  


When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty without Hurting the Poor and Yourself
by Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert
   I just started this one but it comes very highly recommended! :)


www.fosterpodcast.com
  I love this podcast by a believing couple who foster children. Great insights and wise advice. And most episodes that I've listened to are less than 30 mins, perfect for listening while doing dishes or other such chores. 


No comments:

Post a Comment