Saturday, December 29, 2012

Loving when you know it's temporary

'For what is seen is temporary....'

This Christmas was quite different from the Christmases we've had in the past. There were so many times when my emotions were so big that it would be nearly impossible to articulate them. I don't have the words to describe what it was like to hold Diego in my lap while we rode through Fantasy in Lights at Calloway Gardens or to watch all 6 of 'our' children tear into their presents or to hear Dora squeal with excitement over her very own set of "polish nails" or to dance with the whole family in the cleared out basement. To say my heart was full would be a gross understatement. It was a beautiful time, and at the same time, it was in a sense almost tragic because I knew that it would be the only time. I knew that this would be the only Christmas these two children would spend with us. Things are different when you know it's temporary. I think theres a part of me that loves harder and is more patient knowing that they will soon be gone. Theres a part of me that soaks up every single moment. I say things like, sure you can go outside and play in the rain or absolutely you can wear those leggings that don't exactly match your outfit or why not have one more [little] cookie. Because when the time is short, some things just do not matter.  
Should that not be the same with all of my children though? Even my bio ones? I'm not promised the rest of the day with *my* children and yet so many times I act as though I am. I'll put off sitting and playing trains because well, there will always be another chance to do so. I'll tell Rach that we'll paint our nails another day because well, there will always be another day. I'll make IZ go change clothes because well, we just can not possibly go to the park and Chickfila in an orange shirt and red shorts. 
No, I'm not advocating throwing out all rules or manners or sense of decorum or anything like that. I'm just beginning to see that maybe one of the reasons that God has placed Dora & Diego with us is to teach us or remind us that the future is most definitely not certain. We are not promised the rest of today, much less tomorrow. Our time with our children and our time here is so very short. And perhaps in view of that, there needs to be a shift in my parenting priorities. All that truly matters is His glory for His glory is the only thing that is promised to endure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment