Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Good Day?

'If God is our greatest good, then what makes something good is whether it brings us more of God.'

Today has been (is continuing to be) one of "those" days, a day when I am living for bedtime. I know that really and truly I have no room to complain. Life could be a whole lot worse. What I am dealing with pales in comparison to most of the rest of the world's problems. But I'm whining right now. 

My day has been compromised of:

~ an Isaac tantrum to beat all tantrums. Seriously, he could have won tantrum of the year award. Crying, rolling on the floor, screaming, kicking the bunk bed at one point. What brought on this lovely display of sinful emotion? He did not want to wear the sweater that Rach had picked out for him. 

~ an all-around fussy Jojo. He's just well enough, after a bout with strep, to not be contagious, and he's in a foul mood. Nothing made him happy today except for sitting on my hip or sucking on a lollypop. Yes, I caved to bribing my child with candy. Don't judge me.

~ a breakdown by Diego over having to switch car seats. The seat belt in the one he had been using is really too small especially when he's all bundled up on a cold day like today. Jared is the seatbelt guru in our house, and he's at work. Jojo's seat is much easier to adjust so I moved Diego to that one and moved Jojo to Diego's. Diego was not a fan.

~ a stand-off between Diego and me at the library. It was time for us to leave, but Diego wanted to stay and play with the trains some more. No fear, I won the stand-off....just earned a frown of disapproval from the librarian. (A fellow mom in the corner however gave me a silent smile of congratulations.) 

~ another tantrum, this one by Jojo, who did not approve of me folding laundry. More rolling on the floor, crying, screaming. 

~ doling out some corporal punishment. Isaac decided to unbuckle his seat belt and climb out of his car seat to retrieve a toy he had dropped. I *hate* spankings. 

~ squabbles over who got more goldfish at snack time and who worked harder at cleaning the school room and who got to ride what scooter for how long and who got to choose the show at TV time and whether or not a car is red or orange and on and on and on until everyone lost their words while Mommy walked away and screamed into a pillow. 

You know, that kind of day. At one point, I started to think about a blog post I read last night. (Go read it ---> http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/gods-promise-for-the-disappointed) I started wondering, you know, that blog quoted the verse in Psalms that says, 'those who seek the Lord will lack no good thing.' I can think of quite a few 'good things' that I'm lacking at the moment, like peace and quiet, for instance, or obedient children, or a lowered blood pressure. 

Then again, if I did have those things today, I wouldn't have been crying out to God constantly for His grace and His patience and His long-suffering and His love to flow through my brokenness.  So I guess perhaps this truly has been (is) a good day after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment